Reservation for Ex-servicemen in respect of Central Government jobs, including Railways, is governed by the ex-servicemen (Re-employment in Central Civil Services and Posts) Rules, 1979. These reservations are applicable to all Group ‘C’ and Group ‘D’ Central Civil Services & Posts and posts up to the level of Assistant Commandant in all Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs), which includes Border Security Force (BSF), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) and Central Industrial Security Force (CISF).
The details of existing quota of reservation available for Ex-servicemen is as under:
Reservation in Central Government Ministries (including Railways)/Departments including Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs):
- 10% in all Direct recruitment posts up to the level of Assistant Commandant in Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs).
- 10% in Direct recruitment posts in Group ‘C’
- 20% in Direct recruitment posts in Group ‘D’
Reservation in Central Public Sector Undertakings:
- 14.5% in all Direct Recruitment Group ‘C’ Posts
- 24.5% in all Direct Recruitment Group ‘D’ Posts
(including 4.5% for Disabled ESM and dependents of Service personnel killed in action)
- 100% in Defence Security Corps.
- Employment in Rajya Sainik Boards falls under the purview of the concerned State Government and each of the State Government has provided reservation/priority for appointment for Ex-servicemen in State Government jobs as per their welfare policy.
The reservation prescribed for ESM is Horizontal in nature and depend on occurrence of vacancies per year and not as per the number of Posts. Adequate number of ESM are not qualifying for these Posts for want of requisite educational qualification prescribed for the Posts.
The Government endeavors to explore every possible avenue for increasing employment opportunities for the Ex-servicemen through various initiatives including pre and post-retirement trainings and awareness programmes. Suitable training is also imparted to the willing Ex-servicemen to prepare them for self-employment ventures.
This information was given by Raksha Rajya Mantri Shri Ajay Bhatt in a written reply to Shri Achyutananda Samanta in Lok Sabha today.